03 July 2014

The Book Look- The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) ( #1 Cormoran Strike) nail art and book review!

Hey all,

Today's review is on The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith. This is the first book based on the character Cormoran Strike. The book is 449 pages long. I bought my copy from The Book Depository



Cormoran Strike is a private investigator in real trouble. His practice isn't doing well, his relationship is rocky at the best of times and his leg is giving him trouble. Meeting his new temporary receptionist doesn't start off on the right foot and it seems like Strikes life, and business, is going downhill and fast. When a model falls to her death is seems like things are turning up for Strike. Unhappy with the circumstances surrounding his sisters death and the verdict given, her brother turns to Strike to get some answers. What starts as an easy case to make some money on soon turns into something a lot deeper than Strike or anyone else could have ever anticipated.

The Cuckoo's Calling is by far one of the best Crime/ Detective novels I have read in the past few years. Despite the ridiculous name given to the main character I could not find much fault with this book. The characters were interesting and well put together. You could see their growth and progress as the story went on and you really felt for them when times were tough. The book is rife with twists and turns, I didn't see half of them coming. They all played a role in moving the story forward. 

I wish it was longer, I could have kept on reading for another 400+ pages. I was 100% gripped! I'm delighted I didn't buy this the day it came out for the one reason that it took so long for the sequel, The Silkworm, to be released. I don't think I could have waited that long knowing how amazing the first installment of the Cormoran Strike books turned out to be. 

Overall verdict: A very well deserved  5 out of 5 . It's rare for me to like a book this much. It's one of my all time favourites. I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book. 


I love the cover of The Cuckoo's Calling. It's one of my absolute favourites. I started with a base of Sinful Colors Savage. Bad choice! This stained my skin so badly, you can even see it in the pictures. It took well over a week (maybe 2) to get rid of that. Definitely not a go-to polish for nail art that's for sure.I used 2 coats of Savage. Once that was dry I sponged Nails inc Summer place on to the tips of my nails. Using Essence Black is back and a thin brush I freehanded the fence , the silhouette of the man and the birds. As always a stray brush hair snuck it's way onto the nail once I added on a topcoat.

Despite the insane amount of staining, I really like the way this turned out! I have to say this is one of the books I put off reviewing because I knew the nail art side of things would be awful hard to do (If I managed to do it at all!) I adored the book and I'd hate to do a crappy nail design for it. The more I like the book the more effort I put in to do a nicer nail design! Although it doesn't always show or work out that way I'm glad it worked for this book. 


Cuti-CLUE-les

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les