16 July 2012

Why I won't be buying from Barry M again...

Hey all!
whysnape.tipod.com

Not a very nice post for you today but I feel like ye should know  about Barry m's customer service and how truly dreadful I think it is. I know a lot of you really don't care about customer service as long as the product is good. I can see where you are coming from but when I spend my money I want to know that it is going ,not only towards getting a good quality and reliable product but also to a brand that are passionate about what they do and are considerate towards those with whom they are dealing with. I don't care if it is a euro or one hundred euro- I want to be treated like a valued customer.

Quite a while ago on June 23rd I tweeted Barry m asking them where I could find their latest polish, Teal, in Ireland. I waited a while but no reply. I was grand with that. This was at the weekend so I knew it might get lost in their feed so I left it at that for a while. So on June 28th  I tweeted again. Again no reply. Now this time I was fairly pissed off seeing as they were constantly clogging up my  feed with comments from others with no point to them whatsoever. All they were doing was bragging about their stash of Barry m nail polish and how "obsessed" they were and how Amazing the quality of the nail polish was.  Just so they would get a re-tweet. Fair enough but what good is that when I can't find the polish that I'm looking for?

So off I went an I emailed them....twice! Did I get a reply? no!Not even an acknowledgment that they had even received my email and that they would be looking into it. You would think they would want people to be able to number 1) find their products with ease and number 2) be able to buy them! Maybe I just don't understand how companies work! Maybe the Irish have a completely different way of thinking when it comes to business and ye may all be reading this thinking "Jaysus that ones mad in the head altogether"...Ok well you might not be thinking like that seeing as most of ye aren't Irish but ye get my drift!

Now I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the most amazing and well stocked Barry M collection in the world. I have 10 bottle of Barry m Nail polish which in fairness is quite a fair bit. Keep in mind that they cost €4.57 each (I bought 9 of them- one was a gift from a lovely blogger named Hannah <3 ) but still that's a total of €41.13. That's a fair bit of my own money that I  have decided to give to a company in exchange for their goods. Is it wrong of me to expect  to be treated with a bit of respect and perhaps some desire to actually show their customers that they are more than just people with euro signs instead of faces.

So why am I telling all of ye about this? Well I have always praised Barry m to a height. I've led ye to believe that they actually gave a shite about their customers and that even though they are now a well known brand that they still cared about the people that got them to the status that they are currently at. I was wrong to lead ye to this conclusion and I am sorry if many of ye went and and bought their polish on my recommendation that they were a good honest and down to earth brand because they are not. They do make gorgeous polish and it is of good quality. That has not changed and I am pretty sure it won't. What has changed significantly is my view of the brand and more importantly the people behind it.

What does all of this mean? It means that I will no longer be purchasing any of Barry m's products regardless of how much I like them. I have lost a great deal of respect for them. I know a lot of ye are thinking that all of this is a bit drastic but to me customer service is just as important as the quality of the polish. I was wary of buying Barry m polish for years due to the price but I caved and while I am delighted with the polish I have, I am 100% certain that there are dupes out there from brands who , in my opinion, give a damn.

Luckily for me I have some amazing friends that I have found through blogging and was able to get my hands on the Teal polish that I was after. I love the polish and I will still treasure it like I do with all my polish but the brand means very little to me now.

I will still use my polish until they are empty and I will of course show ye swatches of the ones I have. At the end of the day they were bought and it would be a complete waste if they just sat there. I am fairly upset that I won't be able to buy from them but I would sooner buy from a company or brand that appreciate their customers. This is just the way I feel and my opinion so don't feel like ye have to agree or that ye can't ask me what I think of a polish or anything like that. I'll still be honest and answer yer questions because it's fairly clear to me that the brand are incapable of doing as much :)

I'd still love to hear about your experiences. Have ye taken a "no buy" stance towards any brand due to bad customer service? What would ye do in a situation like this?



Cuti-CLUE-les

29 comments:

  1. If you feel strongly about it then you're dead right. I'll never set foot in Debenhams or buy online from them ever again and I never buy an online site if they use Nightline because our local reps are appalling. Stick to your guns, the reason companies should have twitter is to interact with their customers, not retweet compliments all day long. There are great brands and companies out there (like Babyliss, who are an even bigger brand than Barry M and who tweeted me thanking me for a blog post ages and ages ago) who DO care about their customers and there are others who just have reps who like to give themselves good publicity. Not impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Buy from an online site, I don't buy sites :?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That exactly it! I don't see why people use the excuse that they are too busy! Sure that's what customer service teams are put in place for! It's ridiculous. Not so long back there was uproar about an indie brand and their treatment of their customers. Why should established companies get away with doing the same thing just because they are household names?

      Nice of Babyliss by the way! I'd have no qualms with buying from them if that's how nice they are towards their customers.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry that you experienced such bad customer service with them! I have one Barry M polish; Peach Melba, which I received from someone in the UK because she didn't like the colour with her skintone. I feel very fortunate to have it, since I haven't done any research into buying it online for shipping to the US. Now that I've heard this, though, I'm not sure that I'll be looking into purchasing any of their polishes. It's just utter crap when companies don't treat their customers with respect.

    I know you saw my post about Proactiv; I have a staunch no-buy policy toward them. Their customer service is the pits, and their ads are horrible. I can't stand them.

    I'm not sure if they have international sales, but one polish company you may be interested in is Julep. They have AMAZING customer service (every time I've tweeted or emailed, I've received a reply in less than 24 hours), and their polish is divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked at Proactiv! I was thinking about this post for a while and debating whether or not to actually publish it but that really pushed me towards sticking to my guns and "outing" the companies that think this is a fair way of treating their customers.

      I don't think Julep have international connections yet but I am keeping an eye on them! :)

      Delete
    2. Well, if you like, Julep is local to me, so I can get just about anything you'd like, if you have any particulars. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I'm on a no buy but I'll be keeping an eye out for future reference ;) x

      Delete
  4. I love that you wrote this! I knew what was going on but I didn't know the extent of it. Like we were saying, some companies either don't give a crap, or don't know the meaning of customer service. I think it's really brave and awesome that you let your readers know this though! People should get a chance to see what brands are actually like instead of being forced to believe the propoganda they put out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I was kind of debating it when we were talking but after a while I knew I would back out if I didn't post it asap. I don't want people to think that maybe it's nothing serious if it happens to them and that it was just a once off. Everyone should be treated with respect and I don't feel like Barry m have treated me with any ounce of respect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like Alexis said, it's awesome that you wrote this! People should know the truth behind the companies they like and spend money on! I love the Barry M's I have right now (mostly from you :D) but I will think twice in the future whether I wanna purchase something from them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree and thank you for the support :) It means a lot to me that ye understand why I wrote it. I'm not being a bitch- Just trying to save others from thinking that they should just accept bad service :)

      I love my polish too and I am still delighted that I was able to send you some!

      Delete
  7. Oh My Goodness...that is horrible! I hate it when companies have terrible customer service. I had trouble with Burt's Bees for sometime but luckily for me they came through in the end but it took a good month of trying to contact them!

    The best customer service I found is at The Body Shop, probably a reason I buy so much from them is because if something goes wrong with a product or an order I know that all I have to do is contact them once and it's sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am just shocked and completely disappointed with barry m. Especially as I was such a huge fan before this.

      I haven't had much experience with the body shop but what dealings I have had with them have all been positive which always makes me feel comfortable about buying from them :)

      Delete
  8. I agree with you. Customer service is absolutely important! I won't buy from Cult Nails anymore. I have four bottles of theirs and their shipping time is horrendous. 14 days, domestic mail 800 miles. That's ridiculous it should no longer than a week, and their policy if the polish is lost in the mail too bad, they won't replace it. Its a buy at your own risk. People rave about them, so I decided just to not buy from them anymore. I feel weird doing a post on it.

    I applaud you for taking a stand, if customers start to boycott a product, the company will start to pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment! I think anything over 8 days shipping to Ireland is too much so I do not blame you one bit for being frustrated at that. It's pure ridiculous that it would take so long. I also wasn't aware of their policy on lost packages!!!

      I hope they pay attention but to be honest I doubt they give a damn what I think. If it was a big blogger with thousands of followers then you might here some kind of reply. I'm glad so many of ye are standing by me on this. x

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I don't necessarily think the whole company is bad. There is a possiblity that the owner/founder actually cares, but it is the employees that taint it. I am not defending them, but hope that someone who works there that cares will see this, and do something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know what you mean but without any idea of the goings on behind the scenes I can't say for sure that it's "just" the owner or its "just" the employees.
      I hope so to but I sincerely doubt it.

      Delete
  10. I think you are making the right choice if thats how you feel. I wont buy from MUA ever again after truly appalling customer service from them and a series of downright rude emails. I would also rather give my money to a company who invest it in providing good service to their customers as well as their products. Its hard to stick to the resolution but I know that I would feel a lot worse going against my gut and buying from them. Kudos to you I say :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie!
      I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with MUA. I completely agree, I would feel awful if I decided to buy from them again. It would taint the purchase. xx

      Delete
  11. As it is i cant say that i have gone on no-buys from certain brands, and its most certainly because of the response I've gotten from the company. You were wronged, and they should have helped you. The night zoya went with their free mini trio of summer shades chosen from pinterest, i sat at work for almost two hours trying to get mine but the website kept logging me out. I was beyond frustrated, i had been lemming for zuza since it came out. I sent two emails knowing it was the middle of the night and i wouldnt get any response for a while, if at all. A very nice lady responded to both my emails and because there wasnt anything she could do about the computer at my work ( which is what it must have been i suppose, but any other time i have no problems) i was just glad she even acknowledged me. Twice. I'm still a huge fan of zoya and they might only be a few bucks more than barry m, that shouldnt make a difference in service. It sucks but there are plenty of other brands out there who actually care, ya just gotta look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See I would be the same as you! If they had just replied saying " we don't know sorry" at least then I would have been able to look elsewhere. The fact that they couldn't even respond to my question is ridiculous!

      I only have the one zoya polish ( so dear :P ) but I would sooner save my money and buy from them! I'm spoken to them before and they are just the nicest people and are very helpful.

      I missed out on the deal because they don't ship internationally :(

      Delete
  12. Great post, I don't have Barry Ms myself, but I really like these posts that describe experiences with companies so others will know what to expect. Sorry for your bad experiences though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important to let people know :) It might help others avoid the same situation in future.

      Delete
  13. That's a shame they never got back to you! Not nice when companies let down loyal customers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why they choose to ignore those that are actually big fans of their products but with such a large fan base it makes no difference to them if one of two people are treated badly.

      I'm on the lookout for a new brand now :)

      Delete
  14. Poor you for such a treat from Barry M, that's a pity :(
    But otherwise, I can tell you one good news; essence is COMPLETELY opposite, their customer service is pretty great! Maybe you can stick on essence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the new essence collection and I cannot wait for the new line to be released! plus you can get like 3 essence polishes for the price of one barry m :P way better

      Delete
  15. I'm kind of shocked by this! Just by their Twitter feed, where they hold give-aways and do shout-outs to bloggers, etc, I presuemd their customer care was decent. But I hate when companies treat custimers like this! I've been dealing wih major issues with the manufacturers of my laptop & I refuse to ever buy from them again - It doesn't make a difference what the price is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I actually thought they were great with customer service until now. I've since stopped following them on twitter and facebook and I will be writing to them (although they probably won't reply!)

      Delete

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les